Tiverton Castle is the remains of a mediaeval castle dismantled after the Civil War and thereafter converted in the 17th century into a country house. It occupies a defensive position above the banks of the River Exe at Tiverton in Devon.
Description Once considerably larger, Tiverton Castle now comprises a group of ruined defensive perimeter walls, towers and buildings from various periods. A Norman motte was built in 1106 and was then extended and altered in the 12th and 13th centuries
Mediaeval walls of Tiverton Castle viewed from the south from the churchyard of Tiverton parish church, in which was formerly situated the "Courtenay Chantry", containing monuments to the family, destroyed in the 16th. c. Courtenay armorials survive above the south porch and high up on both sides of the chancel arch
South-east tower, Tiverton Castle